Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Cramming It In!

With just a few months left here, I have been trying to cram in as much as possible.  Since the first week of April I have been to three other countries and 2 different areas of Italy.  Here are the highlights:  

London.  I am happy to report that London is as amazing as ever.  This spring marks my 10th year since I spent my semester abroad there.  It was study abroad that made me want to live abroad again.  It was fantastic to return.  London has barely changed.  London is so different from Milan and it served as a friendly reminder of why travel can be so fun.  

JL met me there.  We spent 4 days wandering around the city.  My favorite parts were:  
1.  National Portrait Gallery. Still the best museum I have ever been too!
2.  Cadbury Creme Egg McFlurry.  Need I say more?
3.  Seeing a play.  We saw Wicked.  It was overhyped but not bad.
4.  Soup at Wagamama's.  Excellent choice because I had a terrible bug that made my throat feel raw and soup felt great.  Not to mention, it is just plain-old-yummy.  
5.  National Library.  There was an exhibit about mysteries and their authors.  A bit disappointing, but first editions of Shakespeare made up for it.  
6.  East London, street market.  It was a long walk but fun due in part to the sudden snow flurries.  
7.  We also went to the British Museum.  It was supercrowded but I got to see the Bog Man again so it was totally worth it!  

Bog Man


Budapest.  While JL headed west back home, I headed east to Hungary.  I was still sick and it was cold and rainy in Budapest so I might not have had the best attitude but I tried to take advantage of what the city had to offer.  I went on a free walking tour which offered some good historical background.  I had a Hungarian lesson which was kind of a flop but fun anyway.  I saw Europe's largest Synagoge, walked around both Buda and Pest, tried to relax in the thermal baths, and had a langos (fried pastry dough) at the enormous central city market.  Overall, an enjoyable city, but one of my best memories is eating McDonald's in my (very nice) hotel room and watching Up In The Air, just relaxing.

Memorial to Jews killed in WWII

Hungarian Goulash 


Berlin.  My new favorite city!  It was the perfect mix of history, art, and food.  Not to mention the fact that it was affordable and clean.  Two free walking tours, excellent Asian food, Berlin Wall memorials, World War II memorials, royal palaces, and Europe's largest department store.  It was a busy 3 days!   

Berlin Wall now

Memorial to all of the people who died trying to cross the wall

My favorite section today


Back in Italy I've been trying to pack it in too.

Ravenna.  Ravenna was fun.  It, like Berlin, was a great mix of art, history, and food. Siri and I went for one night and were charmed by the adorable B&B we found.  The town itself is full of history.  It was once the capital of the Roman Empire in the 5th century and many beautiful, colorful glass mosaics and churches that were built then are still intact and pleasing 1500 years later.  We also had excellent Italian food at a little restaurant suggested by our B&B. 

Ravenna religious mosaic

geometric mosaics


Murano/Burano.  These two islands are just next to Venice.  While I harbor no desire to revisit Venice, I was excited about the possibility of returning to Murano.  Seeing all the glass objects reminded me of taking glassblowing in college.  I bought a plate and some earrings as a memento of living in Italy and my time in college.  Burano is a colorful, bright island famous for its handmade lace. The bright colors of the buildings were the real attraction for me.  

Colorful buildings in Burano



In Milan I have been trying to get in as much as the city offers. I went to an AC Milan game last month.  It was fun to see a live game and watch the outrageous Napoli fan tactics.  I went to concerts at both La Scala (symphony) and Blue Note (NOLA jazz musician).  Both were unique and exciting experiences.  I'll be going to an all male production of Shakespeare this weekend and then next weekend I'm off to Lake Guarda.  From here on out it's cram, cram, cram.    

San Siro Stadium



No comments:

Post a Comment